ALEJANDRO ESCOVEDO HOUSE CONCERT AT PINE HILL FARM ON WEDNESDAY FEB 3 AT
8PM

WXDU's country radio show, Topsoil, is presenting another intimate house
concert at Pine Hill Farm in Durham with country singer-songwriter and
Bloodshot recording artist, Alejandro Escovedo on WEDNESDAY, February 3
at 8pm.  Yes, THE Alejandro Escovedo.  (If you don't know him, read
below.)  I'm *very* excited.  Alejandro will probably be performing with
a small acoustic group of just a fiddle, and possibly another guitar or
a cello.  That's still up in the air at this point.  Tickets are now on
sale.  Email me quickly if you'd like to reserve a space.  I usually
don't do house concerts on Wednesday, but this one was just too special
to pass up.  The show will be out by 11:00pm at the latest, as usual,
and will consist of two sets with a brief intermission to meet and
greet.

These concerts are organized so that we all chip in to pay the artist
for the performance.  We will be asking for a donation of $10 per person
and you can save a spot in advance by writing Steve Gardner at
[EMAIL PROTECTED], or by calling 919-304-2693. Note that the last two
house concerts have sold out in a matter of a day or two, so you should
respond as soon as possible if you'd like a seat. Considering the artist
we are dealing with here I believe this show will sell out amazingly
fast.

I also have a website at http://www.topsoil.net/ that will give you
information on my radio show and upcoming house concerts.

** Who is Alejandro Escovedo?

Alejandro Escovedo is a lot of things rolled into one.  His musical life
has spanned from loud punk to a quiet acoustic intensity.  Unlike many
musicians though, this was not a linear transformation from loud at the
beginning of his career to quiet at the end.  Rather, Alejandro's
strength is that he has always retained the best of any given moment of
his life and continued to roll it back into his works, with amazing
results.  It would not be unusual for him to cover the Stooges classic
punk blast of "I Wanna Be Your Dog" in a live show, and then on the next
night (or possibly on the same night) play a mournful original song such
as his "Last to Know" backed by cello and acoustic guitar.  His
diversity combined with his amazing writing, performance and energy
(whether it be a "loud" song or a "quiet" one) is what made the leading
alternative country magazine No Depression bestow upon him the
controversial honor of "Artist of the Decade."

His show at Pine Hill Farm will concentrate on the acoustic side of his
material in the usual non-amplified, smoke free, setting of a living
room.  It is extremely rare that Alejandro will perform in this fashion
for anyone in North Carolina.  In fact, it may be his first.  I'm happy
as a politician in the arms of a page to be able to present this show to
the area.  Following is Alejandro Escovedo's bio in the All Music Guide
at http://allmusic.com.

 Alejandro Escovedo's family tree includes former Santana percussionist
Pete Escovedo and Pete's daughter, Sheila E (also Prince's former
drummer and later a pop star). He began his music career with the Nuns,
a mid-'70s punk band based in San Francisco. He co-founded the cowpunk
band Rank and File in 1979, which moved to Austin, TX, in 1981 after a
stint in New York City. The band released Sundown on Slash Records;
shortly after, Escovedo left to form the True Believers with brother
Javier. The band recorded two albums for EMI (the second was never
released, a fact that eventually caused the band to break up in 1988)
and toured the country, often as an opening act for Los Lobos. Escovedo
released a solo album in 1992 on Watermelon Records, Gravity, uniting
his wide variety of styles; the album was produced by Stephen Bruton of
Bonnie Raitt's band. After 1996's With These Hands, he also began
recording with the group Buick MacKane. -- John Bush, All-Music Guide

Note: Since that review was written Alejandro released a record on
Bloodshot Records that was a compilation of some of his live material
from the mid 90s.  This record "More Miles Than Money: Live 1994-1996"
made my list of the top 20 records of the year.

** What and where is Pine Hill Farm?

Pine Hill Farm is the name of a ranch house in Durham a few miles north
of Chapel Hill.  (directions below)  I started up these house concerts
with one of the members of that household, Bill Tolbert.  Together we
try to bring the music that we want to see to town.  Pine Hill Farm
presents shows in a totally acoustic setting, meaning no amplification.
The shows are held in the living room and the acoustics are wonderful.
There is no better way to see a show.

Directions:  To get to Pine Hill Farm, take Exit 266 from I-40 onto 86N
(a.k.a. Airport Rd). Go right on Mt. Sinai Rd. and after 2.5 miles, take
a left onto Murphy School Rd. The house is down the second driveway on
the right - park on Murphy School Rd. past the driveway and enjoy.

Remember to get your house concert tickets early.  If you have any
friends that want to be on this mailing list let me know.  Also,
remember to check my webpage for info on house concerts and my radio
show.

Cheers!!
Steve Gardner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Steve Gardner * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * www.topsoil.net
Topsoil - A Century of Country Music - Sundays 12-3pm
WXDU 88.7FM Durham NC
Upcoming House Concerts: 1/15-Joe Thompson