Clipped this from the Jam TV site:

Sara Evans is Ready for Her Payday

                            You'll have to excuse Sara Evans if she
                            sounds a bit flustered, though you can
hardly
                            blame her. For one thing, she and her
                            husband are in the middle of trying to sell
their
                            Springfield, Tenn., home and a couple of
                            prospective buyers have arrived smack in the

                            middle of her phone interview. Then there's
the
                            matter of her country music career, which
has
                            been a sweet and sour mix of critical
acclaim
                            and stubborn radio support. Three months
                            after moving to Nashville, Missouri native
                            Evans found legendary country songwriter
                            Harlan Howard to be one of her biggest fans
                            and supporters. At the six-month marker, she

                            was the toast of Music Row and the
                            bewildered prize in a multilabel bidding
war.
                            Her 1997 debut, Three Chords and the Truth,
                            was hailed as a great white hope for
traditional
                            country, a Patsy Cline record spiked with
the
                            Bakersfield grit of Dwight Yoakam producer
                            Pete Anderson. But the album was "too
                            country" for country radio, and died a quiet

                            death. Fighting fire with fire, Evans
bounced
                            back last year with "Cryin' Game," a
                            contemporary country pop, sure-fire Top Ten
                            hit that didn't even crack the Top 40.

                            At the time of this interview, Evans had her

                            fingers crossed for the follow-up single and
the
                            title track from her new album, No Place
That
                            Far. It didn't debut in the Top 40, as she
had
                            hoped, but it has since proven to have
                            long-distance legs: after twenty-two weeks,
                            the single currently sits at No. 18 on the
                            Billboard Hot Country Singles chart, smack
                            between the Dixie Chicks and Shania Twain.
                            Her album, meanwhile, jumped from No. 42 to
                            No. 31 on the Top Country Albums Charts last

                            week and was designated the week's
                            "Pacesetter." The twenty-seven-year-old
                            singer/songwriter has been on the edge of
her
                            seat, watching the charts and waiting for
her
                            horse to come in for a long time. At long
last,
                            here she comes.

                            How worked up do you get over the
                            charts?

                            Oh, I get extremely worked up. I get
frustrated,
                            honestly, because I just think, "What do
they
                            want?" It's so hard to be in this business
and
                            not have radio success. It's very hard to
get on
                            a tour, it's hard to sell albums -- it's
hard to do
                            anything. You're sort of stuck between that
                            place of having a record deal and having a
hit.
                            So there's, like, no money. I'm like the
girl that
                            everybody says, "You're the best artist who
                            hasn't broken yet." I'm like, "Well, that's
                            flattering for a while, but I'm sick of that
title."
                            Tim McGraw, every time he sees me, he's
                            like, "Keep making records girl, they're
gonna
                            get it one day, don't you give up." And it's
like,
                            you know, that's easy for him to say.
(Laughs)

                            Is it true that, because you had Pete
                            Anderson as your last producer, your first
                            album was perceived as an "L.A. album,"
                            which sort of got it stonewalled at country
                            radio?

                            Yeah, that was a big part of it. Dwight and
                            Pete are not considered to be the
friendliest
                            people to country radio that you could ever
                            meet, and also the fact that it was so
country.
                            I mean, we had three shuffles on that album,

                            and we cut "Tiger By the Tail," and all
these
                            country songs because that's what I wanted
                            portray myself as. And I think it was just
bad
                            timing for an album that country.

                            So was the change in producers for this
                            album a deliberate attempt to play the
                            radio game?

                            Yes, that was a big push by my label. They
                            love Pete, too, but it was just real obvious
that
                            radio did not like the production of my
first
                            record. They didn't feel like it was a safe
                            record to play on their stations. I was very

                            depressed and stressed about it, because I
                            had planned on making all my records with
                            Pete, but he totally understood. He said,
"You
                            gotta do what you gotta do." So we chose
                            Norro Wilson and Buddy Cannon because
                            they have had great success at keeping
                            records country yet making them progressive
                            enough to be on the radio.

                            What's the abridged Sara Evans back
                            story?

                            I grew up in a little bitty town in Missouri

                            called New Frankland. I was raised on a
                            tobacco farm, like, fifteen minutes from
town.
                            I'm the third oldest of seven kids. And when

                            we were little, I don't know why, but my
                            parents decided that my brothers would take
                            guitar, bass and banjo lessons, and I would
be
                            the lead singer. And I took mandolin
lessons. I
                            started at four, and we had a bluegrass band

                            with some other people and called it the
Sara
                            Evans Show, and I was the little lead singer

                            playing the mandolin. And it just grew from
                            there, and that became a source of income
for
                            our family. So that's really all I've ever
done,
                            and I haven't known anything else that I
ever
                            wanted to do.

                            So are you looking for Shania-level
                            success, or would you be happy with a
                            low-key but successful critical standing?

                            No, I'll tell ya, I really don't want to be
just like
                            a press darling. I mean, I love that, don't
get
                            me wrong, but...

                            You want it all...

                            Well, I do, and I think, vocally, why not? I

                            deserve that. And I'm not trying to be
arrogant
                            at all, but why shouldn't I be on the radio
as
                            well? And I don't think I'm so different to
where
                            I'm not commercial. I think my new record is

                            very commercial. But yeah, I would like to
be
                            the Queen of Country Music someday. Sure.

                            Does the prospect of that impress the
                            people looking at your house at all?

                            I hope so, because I really want to sell
this
                            house! (Laughs) Yeah, it's like, "Don't they

                            know who I think I am?" This house could be
                            famous someday. Like the legendary Hank
                            Williams house on Music Row, the original
                            home of Hank Williams. And this is the first

                            house I ever bought as well. We're asking
                            $117,900. Old farm house with five acres...

                            RICHARD SKANSE
                            (January 14, 1998)