I was real sad to hear this news this morning. I know Dusty's name came up once or
twice around here- or maybe that was just me comparing her sultry voice to that of
Lucinda's on songs like "Right n Time." Anyway this is from AP.

March 3, 1999
Web posted at: 6:47 a.m. EST (1147 GMT)

LONDON (AP) -- Singer Dusty Springfield, whose husky, white soul  voice fueled such
1960s hits as "Son of a Preacher Man" and "Wishin' and Hopin'," has died after a long
battle with breast cancer. She was 59.
Springfield died Tuesday night at her home in Henley-on-Thames, about 30 miles (45
kilometers) west of London, said her agent, Paul Fenn.

"She was one of the icons of the music industry," Fenn said. "She was one of the most
talented female singers of this century."

Springfield's first hit was 1964's "I Only Want To Be With You," followed by a string
of smashes, including "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" and "You Don't Have
to Say You Love Me."

In the 1990s, she resurfaced with another hit, teaming up with the Pet Shop Boys for
the single "What Have I Done to Deserve This."

Springfield's breast cancer was diagnosed in 1994 shortly after she recorded  her most
recent album, "A Very Fine Love."

She underwent extensive chemotherapy until 1995, when she was diagnosed as being clear
of the disease. But the cancer returned the following year.