Garden variety covers aside, *startling* covers provide
wonderful thread fodder because they are so damn rich
in ambiguity.

Intended or not, they are a test...the question is...which test?

Ironic covers: the hipness test
    I know that
        you know that
            I know you know I know that...(nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

Non-ironic covers: the zen test
    I can cast off my cultural baggage and accept the beauty
    that underlies that which others disdane

Quasi-ironic covers: the Miles Davis test
    I can take a sow's ear (removed from a pig about whom I feel
    largely indifferent) and turn it into a silk purse through
    the sheer force of my musical prowess

Answers may vary and the decisions of the judges are final.

Which "tests" are artistically valid?  Hmm, let's see now...

Anon...TG