> >  Gavin Martin dons his pipe and slippers before unearthing a few gems for
> the,
> >
> >  um, older readers.
> >
> >  Steve Earle got his first bluegrass lesson from Bill Monroe, the man who
> >  originated the keening hi-energy country sub-genre back in the 1930s. The
> >  fruits of the reformed smackhead's learning can now be heard on THE STEVE
> >  EARLE AND DEL McCOURY BAND's 'THE MOUNTAIN' (Grapevine) a new
> >  high water mark ...
>
>   False construct.  There's no way a person of *any* age wouldn't like great
> bluegrass, or this record.

Most of the readers of N.M.E. have probably never heard of Steve Earle let
alone Bill Monroe or bluegrass music. Whether this review will prompt any 16
year old indie kids, the vast majority of N.M.E.'s readership, to get into
bluegrass is highly debatable.

> Andy, is this a column that the guy writes for
> "music older folks will like?"  Is it in a rock-pop publication?  Seems
> strange in a way.....

Strange indeed but probably not in the way that you think. It amazed me the
album got a review at all let alone a grudgingly good one. N.M.E.'s sole aim
these days seems to be to break the next big thing, hype them up and then
knock them off their pedestal after their  15 minutes are up.

Andy