I'll second Nisenson's "Ascension" for the Coltrane bio. I've got a couple
Trane bios and some are horrible.

One of my favorite jazz books is David Rosenthal's "Hard Bop" which covers
that particular brand of jazz from the 1955-65 era. Not bebop, but the music
played by the likes of Art Blakey, Jackie McLean, Joe Henderson, Miles, Trane,
Lee Morgan, Clifford Brown, etc. in those days.  Great writing on great music.

Another good jazz book is John Litweiler's bio "Ornette Coleman: A Harmelodic
Life." But be careful, not all jazz fans are Ornette Coleman fans (but should
be) ;-)

Gregg
Gregg Makepeace
[EMAIL PROTECTED]