Here's an update to Steve's earlier forward...

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/

-----Original Message-----
From: Bluegrass music discussion. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On
Behalf Of Pete Wernick
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 1999 12:02 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: good news about Charles Sawtelle!

Hello all you Bgrass-L'ers. I haven't been posting or even lurking of late,
but am aware that some folks have forwarded some email concerning our dear
friend Charles from me onto this list. Thanks for doing that.

There is good news today that I wanted to share with you all just as soon as
got it: Charles' doctors have told his parents and girlfriend that "he's
going
to make it". This simple statement sums it up, news that last week seemed
almost too much too hope for when his condition was declining. His lung
infections are clearing and it is expected he'll be off the ventilator in a
few days. It's now on a minimal setting and being used to administer
medicine
as well as provide oxygen.

Charles is not out of the woods yet, as the main reason he's at the hospital
has yet to be dealt with-- graft vs. host disease, which is fallout from his
bone marrow transplant of two years ago. While the transplant was recently
determined to have apparently beaten his leukemia, the "g.v.h." disease is
still serious. The well-wishes and prayers from all over have been greatly
appreciated, and you all may still want to continue them as Charles
continues
his 5-year struggle for life. And while you're at it, there are other people
in our community, maybe not as well-known as Charles, who need various sorts
of help that we who are more fortunate can offer. Let's do it!

This morning I am basking in the good news about Charles and looking forward
to hearing more. With good medical treatment, his great will to live, and
the
magnificent support from so many friends and fans, I'm sure hoping for the
best.

Pete Wernick