Here's what Deborah Madison has to say on the subject. I nearly always trust
her--to me, there is no higher cookbook goddess. I served this at a party
and people were *very* enthusiastic about it.

1/3 c. finely diced white onion or scallion
1/4 c. chopped cilantro
2 med. tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 or 2 serrano chiles, finely diced
salt
3 large Haas avocados
juice or 1 or 2 limes

Reserve a few tsp. of onions, cilantro and chile as garnish. Grind or chop
the rest of the onion, cilantro and chile with salt, until it's a rough
paste. Peel the avocados and mash them with a fork. Add onion mixture and
tomatoes, and season to taste with lime juice and salt.

--Jamie S.

P.S. Although it's heresy, lemon juice will work, too. The flavor is quite
different, but also good.

P.P.S. Sudden rush of guilt...shouldn't this be on the fluff list? Oh well,
the deed is done now. <g>

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.wavetech.net/~swedberg
http://www.usinternet.com/users/ndteegarden/bheaters