Speaking of famous violinists...Lord Menuhin was known for an open approach to music
of all types.  His collaboration with sitar master Ravi Shankar was one of the first
cross-cultural experiments I ever heard.  I don't know if he ever played fiddle, but
he probably could have kicked ass.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_295000/295657.stm

Violin virtuoso Yehudi Menuhin dies

World leaders have been paying tribute to violinist Yehudi Menuhin, who has died in
Berlin of heart failure aged 82.

UK Prime Minister Tony Blair said Lord Menuhin's "unique talent" brought joy to
millions.

He will be remembered the world over as one of the greatest musicians of his age," he
said.

German President Roman Herzog and French President Jacques Chirac called Yehudi
Menuhin one of the most brilliant musicians of the century.

"With him, a light has gone out, the light of genius and also the light of the heart,"
said Mr Chirac.

Lord Menuhin died in a Berlin hospital on Friday morning, after arriving in the city
on Tuesday for a concert that night.

He was taken to hospital during the week suffering from bronchitis, and died after a
"very brief illness".

Died in a Berlin hospitalLord Menuhin lived in central London with his second wife,
the ballerina Diana Gould, with whom he had two sons.

He was a renowned interpreter of classical and modern music, and also famous for
establishing the Yehudi Menuhin School in Surrey, which trained other stars such as
punk violinist Nigel Kennedy.

'He wanted to share'

The headmaster of the Surrey school, Nicolas Chisholm, said: "I've told the children
and they are heartbroken.

"He was inspirational and we're going to miss that inspiration dreadfully."

Kennedy once said: ""He had this box of chocolates he wanted to share with people -
that was his attitude."

Just before Christmas, Lord Menuhin was promoting music teaching in British schools.

He believed music could play a vital role in civilising society.

"Art reflects the refinement of a civilisation," he said. "Music goes both ways. You
make yourself heard and listen to others."

Naturalised Briton

Lord Menuhin was born in New York of Russian immigrant parents, but became a
naturalised Briton in 1985 and was knighted two years later. He was made a life peer
in 1993.

He gave up public performances in his 70s, when his hearing become impaired, but
continued conducting at his school at least once a month.

Former head of music for BBC television Humphrey Burton, who is writing a biography of
Lord Menuhin, described him as "the world's greatest violinist".

He went on: "Musicians loved working with him. We are going to miss him greatly."

"The last thing he did was dictate letters from his hospital bed on Tuesday," he said,
"and the last was to Gordon Brown congratulating him on his Budget."