At 11:22 AM 3/12/99 -0500, you wrote:
>in place is busted.  For the (exorbitant, IMO) price of most CDs, this
>happens way more often than it seems like it should.  I'd estimate that
>maybe 5% of the CDs that I've purchased had broken rings.

Not an over-estimation, I don't think. We gets lots of product in with
broken parts. We try to give 'em a shake to see if any of the teeth things
are broken inside, and, if so, we'll drop a replacement tray in with the
oreer.

>I usually have some blank jewel cases available to replace the broken
>ones but these are generally the generic clear case / black tray
>variety.  It may just be my imagination but it seems to me that the
>jewel cases with clear trays have busted rings more often than the ones
>with the black trays and unfortunately I do not have extras of those.
>I once purchased a copy of Beau Jocque's "Pick Up On This!" with a
>beautiful (orange, I think it was) case / tray and was very
>disappointed to find the ring inside of it broken.  I even wrote to
>Rounder to inquire about getting a replacement (even offering to pay
>for it) but I never got a response.

The non-black ones do bust more often. A real annoyance are the colored
ones since replacement parts are not easily available.

>Here are some questions that I have for you smart people:
>
>1. Is it okay to simply return as defective a CD with a broken ring?
>The few times that I've done this, the store clerks were nice enough
>about it.  They usually just put the CD and the booklet into a new
>case.  But this is impossible with the cardboard sleeve / plastic tray
>combinations - I had to get a whole new copy of Scarnella's "Scarnella"
>CD because the ring was broken and the tray and the sleeve were
>effectively one piece.  I have no idea how common this type of return
>is, however, and would be curious to find out what you retail types
>have to say about this.

It puts the retailer into a difficult place. Some labels will not take
returns on open goods. The labels were burned heavily by returns of
"defectives" which were really clean goods traded in used and then returned.

Anyway, because of that, a retailer or mail order company has to eat the
cost of that CD due to a situation which is frequently not there fault.

The damn things are fragile and whatever knucklehead thought it was a good
idea should be damned to an eternity of replacing broken trays.

Jeff

>2. Does anybody know of a source for the more exotic jewel cases?  I
>don't know of anybody that sells empty jewel cases with clear trays but
>I'm sure there must be some retail outlet that does.
>
>3. Is this a problem for anybody else?  Or am I just unlucky?  Or am I
>being too much of a record collector geek by letting this bother me?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help / insight.
>
>Tony Lombardi
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>np:  James Carter - In Carterian Fashion

Miles of Music mail order
http://www.milesofmusic.com
FREE printed Catalog: (818) 883-9975 fax: (818) 992-8302, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Alt-Country, rockabilly, bluegrass, folk, power pop and tons more.