> ><<(from Rolling Stone Online)
> >
> >HEADLINE: Steve Earle Battles with Identity Crisis

The question is: who's identity crisis?  The headline is an interesting frame on
how its not the artist with the problem but an industry/culture that seems to
need some sort of fixity in defining genres that perhaps also define identity.

> ."We're second-guessed all the time,"
> >says Mayfield.

Well duh.

> . "It's just not the country schlock that Music Row
> >[in Nashville] perpetuates." (Despite that hit from Hunt, when the chart
> >came out, Music Row big wig Tony Brown, president of MCA Nashville, called
> >Billboard to point out the Earle oversight.)

I'm coming to the conclusion Brown is the Bill Clinton of the music biz.  Smart,
talented, knows what's right, but ends up taking up the Republican agenda anyway
if thats the way the wind seems to be blowing.