Junior wrote:

People!!  Wagner and Debussy are yucky  *romantic* music.  They are
NOT *classical*  music.  All European music isn't the same.  Don't
mix great composers like Mozart and Cimarosa in with trash like
Wagner, sheesh <g>....  What would you think if somebody
characterized Buck as Bluegrass?!?!?

Sorry, Junior but I have a hard timing figuring out just what you are talking about.
Yucky romantic music, you say. Sure, if you want to waltz around with the salong
fähigness of Mozart, you are welcome any day. This don't mean I don't appreciate
Mozart.
Stating Wagner as trash is a little too much. Eventhough he took up many of the worst
aspects of "Die Lebens-philosophie" in his music, not to say in his writing, his music
is incredible.
I'll listen to Jussi Bjoerling as Calaf in Wagner's opera Tristan und Isolde any day,
above much of the crap
that is hyped on this list.
So just when did "classical music" die and romanticism take over? With Beethoven's
Piano Sonata op.111,
or was it before? Was Beethoven romantic crap all along? Okay, If you feel so, let me
recomend an album for you. Put on Bach's mass in H-minor (preferable with Collegium
Vocale and Philippe Herreweghe).
Turn it up loud, listen as they breath in, before Kyrie is heard out of the speakers.
Is Bach in your classical category?

And since Adorno was mentioned in this thread. I just wrote an essay about Adorno's
influence on Thomas Mann in writing Dr.Faustus. The focuse was especially on his
contribution to Mann's understanding of the 12-tone technique, and Adorno's presence
in the "Devil's" tale in that book. If you want to read it, learn Norwegigan.

Geir Nyborg
Oslo,Nyborg

np:Townes Van Zandt: "Kitchen album"