This thread is nuts <g>.

Heh....  Geir, I was mostly joking.  Carl, I'm way back off that yellow
line!!

And Geir: while Wagner isn't my own cup of tea, more power to ya.  As Jon
Weisberger was just saying in another context of this same thread (!?),
these taste matters are not really the basic point.

I was simply alluding to a kind of basic historical/stylistic distinction
in European music.  Dividing what we Americans universally refer to as
"classical" into some still-overlarge categories that don't lump 400
years of music into a single notion, etc.  You know, Palestrina to Bach
etc. in an early music to baroque phase, Mozart and Co. as classical,
and post-Beethoven to the 20th century as romantic.

Memo to self:  use <g> thingies,
--junior, who never would have been invited to lunch with Adorno