Will Miner wrote:

> No, but 30 years ago you had all kinds of records coming out with mistakes
> in them and who cared? -- because they were damned fine records.  Off the
> top of my head I'm thinking of old blues or rock and roll examples -- like
> early Beatles records or Creedence Clearwater Revival records or Howlin
> Wolf records -- so maybe this is one of those things that was once
> forgiven in rock or blues but would never have been tolerated in country,
> for example.  But it may also be because those Floyd Tillman or Lefty
> Frizzell or whichever records arent coming to mind.

Mistakes were left in those old records for various reasons, some
artistic, some because of budget or time contraints, some because the
people involved were all primitive enough to not know or care.

I personally love stuff on records that is out of tune or not perfect,
but we are now faced with that as a conscious artistic decision to be
made rather than an accident or not knowing any better, etc. The advent
of guitar tuners, multitrack gear, hard drive digital music, have all
given more control over the music to the artists and producers than we
have ever had before. Sometimes this is a good thing, but usually stuff
gets polished to death, in my opinion.

This is probably why, when I reach for a CD to play, my hand swerves
toward Jimmy Reed or Bob Wills or T-Bone Walker, stuff from an era when
records were literal transcriptions of an event rather than creations
resulting from many weeks in a studio.

--
Joe Gracey
President-For-Life, Jackalope Records