<<"Kids want to buy the records of artists they perceive as
their peers," says David Simone, the top creative executive
at Los Angeles-based Geffen Records. "My advice to them
is to get a day job.">>

I think "perceive" might be key here, because if you look at the charts,
aren't the artists in their mid/late 20s the ones appealing to the teenagers?
I don't think I would call those two groups "peers"

>>Demoralized and
confused, Jack Kidney took a day job digging ditches ...<<

and gigging around the greater Atlanta area??? <g>

Paul