Thanks to Barry for posting the article about Kent, Ohio's The Numbers
Band. As I've mentioned on this list before, this band -- originally
called 15-60-75 -- was my first "bar band" - the first band I ever saw
live in a bar, and remains near the top of my list of live bands, whether
in a bar, an arena or a stadium. As a 16-year-old in nearby Stow, Ohio,
around 1971-72, myself and my pals would hitch-hike into Kent, slide into the
subterranean Kove bar, taking turns using my brother's draft card, and sit
in the front church-pew, blowing joints, and getting blown away by this
kick-ass blues band that mixed rawness and urbanity, with consumate
professionalism and musicianship. They mixed originals with blues and R&B
standards, such as Sea Cruise, Big-Legged Woman, Dust My Broom, Kansas
City, and on and on. I'll never forget 'em. -- Terry Smith

ps just for info, their sax player's sister was some little-known rock
singer from Cuyahoga Falls named Chrissie Hynde.