How come some acts, usually the Alt Country, Bluegrass, etc, etc, sound so
much better live than they do on disc, and others, Big name rock, Country,
etc sound so much better on disc than they do live.

With zero experience in the studio, Is it that difficult to capture the
spirit or energy of a live gig? Does recording it live, (vice a live
recording in a club) with all the musicians in the same room make a big
difference as toward groove? How about a live recording at a Venue? That
IIIrd Time Out Live at the MAC or the Flatt and Scruggs Live at Carnegie
are two discs that really capture the excitement of a live show. Is it
really difficult to capture that vibe on tape?

One of the differences I think, lies in budget. When you can spend an hour
trying to get one lick from a rhythm guitar just right on one bar on one
song, and you cut that lick 12 times until the producer is satisfied, that
seems to me to make for a sonically perfect and emotionally dead record.
Just sucks the life right out.

This Waco thing brought it up. Everyone is gushing about their live show at
SXSW and saying how great they are live. Their recorded efforts don't do
anything for me. The same is true of the Sovines. Their cassette, Owner
Operator was okay, But their live show kicks ass.  Same deal with Mike
Ireland, and a bunch other folks we discuss.

Do the artists even make money on recordings anymore? Or is the gig the
good money and the records sold at the record table just the gravy? How do
most of you folks afford to tour? You ain't making shit off the record
table and you're playing for the door. Do you tour until your broke and
then go make enough money at Burger King until you can afford to tour
again? One of you folks cough up and give us a breakdown of a tour. Money,
food, beer, dope, sleeping arrangements, gas, vehicles, etc etc.

That's enough questions for now. I'm doing everything humanly possible to
avoid packing my seabag.

Jeff Wall
 http://www.twangzine.com The Webs least sucky music magazine
3421 Daisy Crescent - Va Beach, Va - 23456