Ok now that I can see straight <g>, here's what I saw last night. The
Wranglers opened for the Damnations at the Continental and completely won
over a pretty tough crowd. If I had to draw comparisons, I'd say they were
the UK's answer to the Damnations, with a little bit of rockabilly and
honkytonk thrown in. The sisterly harmonies were great, the band was tight
and at times, masterful, (the steel player, no matter how old she is <g>,
had some of the guitar geeks up front watching her every move - and I
pretty sure they were watching her playing <g>) the song selection, all
though maybe a bit on the kitsch (sp?) side was remarkably varied and the
arrangements fairly original. They played much longer than they expected (I
counted two long encores, but perhaps they weren't use to the openers at
the Continental getting a an hour to play. For those of you in Austin,
they're playing at La Zona Rosa next thursday night and I think I talked
them into getting up early on Friday for an appearance on the radio. Catch
'em while you can.
Jim, smilin'