I would like Freakwater okay (not a lot; to me, their stuff seems watered
down rather than enhanced by its rock influences, unlike some alt-country)
if it weren't for Catherine Irwin's indescribably lousy voice. The only
time I saw them live--at a Mercury Lounge show that Barry Mazor and I
dragged ourselves to in the interests of giving Freakwater a fair
hearing--they had Max Johnston with them, and I could listen to him play
all day. Janet Beveridge Bean is also a pleasure to listen to. But
Catherine Irwin sounded, just as she always does, like a dying cat whose
voice was being played through a foghorn. Yecch.

--Amy