Amy says:

> I would like Freakwater okay (not a lot; to me, their stuff seems watered
> down rather than enhanced by its rock influences, unlike some alt-country)
> if it weren't for Catherine Irwin's indescribably lousy voice.

and I'm inclined to agree; I spent some time once listening to Eleventh
Dream Day recordings, and it was clear to me that Janet Beveridge Bean can
and does sing in tune, which by process of elimination leaves Irwin's
singing as the biggest part of the problem, by itself and/or as a baleful
influence on Bean.  Either way, their covers tend to be so inept as to be,
to me, positively offensive; I can't think of a crummy, drunk, play-for-free
bluegrass band that couldn't do a better job on "Put My Little Shoes Away."

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/