Hi all,

Well, I caught the Cartwrights last Saturday night and they simply tore up
the Gypsy Tea Room.  This was actually the second time I've seen the
Cartwrights (after the break up).  They put on a (reunion) show about a year
and a half ago that was nothing to write home about.  But this time around,
it was a totally different story.
Cowboys and Indians had just kicked off their set as I entered the club.
It's a shame Eric (singer/songwriter, guitar) & Co. don't receive more
recognition than they do.  They are simply one of the best western swing
bands in the nation.  Saturday's show was one of the best C & I performances
I ever seen (and I've seen quite of few of them over the years).
Right after their encore, I started feeling sorry for the Cartwrights
because the last show I saw (mentioned above) could not, by any means, live
up to what Cowboys and Indians had just done.
After the break, the Cartwrights came on stage and jumped straight into
"Crazy Broken Heart" written and sung by Donny Ray Ford.  The sound was
terrible and the band struggled to find the beat.  Unfortunately, my sorry
feelings started to become a reality.  Just after three songs, the crowd
started to leave.  As matter of fact, I was close to leave myself.  But I
went over to the bar for another beer and the fourth song "Walking On My
Grave" (one of my favorites) came on.  After a minute or so into the song,
the sound problems were almost eliminated and things were coming together.
>From that song on, nothing could go wrong.  The band simply tore up the
place with great, tight, honky tonk music straight from their hearts.  I
dare to claim that Alan Wooley is one of the best guitar player around.  He
certainly showed off his very best Telecaster skills throughout this show.
Although, I personally don't like Mr. Kooda's voice too much, his
interpretation of "Little Red Corvette" was killer.  It's such a groovy
song, and with Kim Herriage's steel guitar, this song was one of my
highlights during the show.  I'm certainly glad I opted to stay a little bit
longer that night.  Crossing my fingers and hoping that the band will
reunite on a permanent basis.  The alt. country world really needs
performers like Alan Wooley and Danny Ray Ford.  Enuff said.

Later...

André Kopostynski
Dallas, Texas
E-mail Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]