Neal writes:

>I tried to find out from my Weekly connex. Was told that even the
>publisher wasn't divulging. Think major label with smaller roster,
>right? At least it has to be a bigger player if he's making seven
>figures and answering to people who make eight or nine. What
>about pre-merger Interscope? Iovine? Or Hollywood Records. Or...

     There are a bunch of clues littered throughout the article.  I'd
guess that the individual is in his fifties, since he seems to have once
had the idealism of the '60s generation.  He also works for a label that
has one of the divas under contract.  Though Sony has Barbra Streisand,
Mariah Carey, and Celine Dion, we can probably count out Mottola, unless
it *is* Mottola and that was thrown in to throw armchair sleuths like us
off the track.  Who else?  Whitney Houston at Arista?  Madonna at Warner?
 Reba McEntire at MCA?  There's also the suggestion that he didn't come
up through the ranks at his current label; that he was a middle-level
staffer somewhere else who was lured to his current job for whatever
reason.  I'd also guess that he's a fairly prominent liberal Democrat,
though that doesn't exactly narrow it down in the entertainment industry.
 Bono is also mentioned; someone who was associated with Island or
Polygram at one time, perhaps?
                                --Jon Johnson
                                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                   Wollaston, Massachusetts