Don't know if this pre-indictment AP story was ever posted here, but in
case anyone's interested... --david cantwell
>Singer charged in killing has hit highs, lows
>By Chip Brown
>Associated Press
>Published: Sept. 8, 1998
>SABINAL -- At the pinnacle of country singer Johnny Rodriguez's success,
he picked guitars with Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson in Texas
football coach Darrell Royal's living room.

>He made several appearances on "Hee-Haw,"  the Nashville Network and
Barbara Mandrell's variety show. The wedding reception for the first of his
four marriages was at the Nashville, Tenn., mansion of Tom T. Hall. And he
enjoyed renting a white stretch limousine when traveling back to his
hometown of Sabinal, a poor farming community about 60 miles west of San
Antonio.

>It was his way of making sure everyone in town knew that he had come a
long way from his days of picking cotton to help his parents put food on
the table for 10 children.

>Rodriguez, 46, had the first of several Top 10 hits with 1972's "Pass Me
By (If You're Only Passing Through)." He later married and divorced Willie
Nelson's daughter, Lana. Today, he's making the wrong kind of  headlines.

>Rodriguez has been charged with murdering Israel "Basco" Borrego, 26, a
regular guest at parties at a house Rodriguez built for his mother some 20
years ago. Friends and neighbors said Rodriguez, who lives 75 miles to  the
east in San Marcos with his fourth wife, Debbie, frequently traveled on
weekends to Sabinal to host the gatherings.

>Rodriguez's attorney, Alan Brown of San Antonio, said the country singer
walked across the street from a friend's house to make sure his mother's
house was locked up about 4 a.m. on Aug. 29. With the lights out in his
mother's small, dilapidated, one-story home, Rodriguez mistook Borrego for
an intruder who made an aggressive move toward him, according to  Brown.

>Rodriguez grabbed a .357-Magnum revolver that he kept near the front door
of his mother's house and shot Borrego once in the abdomen. Rodriguez then
called 911 and reported the incident, Brown said.

>Borrego was pronounced dead at a Uvalde hospital later that day.
>
>Sabinal police and the district attorney investigating the case, Tony
Hackebeil, aren't saying much about the events surrounding Borrego's death
or about an alleged shooting involving Rodriguez three weeks ago in  which
no one was hurt.

>"There was an incident reported, and an officer was dispatched by a 911
call," Hackebeil said. "Although I've never seen a report, that incident
was ended as a pending investigation. We may never know what happened, but
we are trying to find out."

>Grand jurors are expected to consider whether Rodriguez should be indicted
on a murder charge as early as Sept. 24, Hackebeil said.

>Borrego family members said they find the singer's story hard to believe
because the two men had been socializing so much over the past weeks. And
they fear that the grand jury will not charge Rodriguez because of his
fame and friendship with several law enforcement officers.

>"Johnny sang and was a big star and may have money, but that doesn't make
him any better than us," said Borrego's wife, Anita.  "He shot and killed
the man I love, and the father of my two children. As far as I'm concerned,
he's worse than us."

>Friends have several photographs showing Rodriguez and Borrego at one  of
the backyard parties. One picture shows the men arm in arm, with Rodriguez
holding a beer in his hand.

>"Basco used to stay there with Johnny day in and day out," said Borrego's
cousin, Freddy Aviles, 24. "They would drink together, and my cousin used
to cook for him.

>"And now Johnny's trying to pretend that Basco was a perpetrator. My
cousin was no perpetrator. Johnny Rodriguez used to tell my cousin he could
come over to the house any time he wanted, if Johnny was there or not."

>Brown said Rodriguez and his sister had asked Borrego to stop entering the
home uninvited.

>Aviles maintains that even if it were true that Borrego was asked to stay
out of the house, "What was Johnny doing carrying a weapon in a small  town
like this? Here, everyone knows everyone. If there is a problem, we settle
it with our fists."

>Aside from being Rodriguez's hometown, Sabinal is best known for a wild
hog-catching festival every summer. It's a community of 1,600 people, where
one of Rodriguez's brothers is a former mayor and another is a current City
Council member. Two of his sisters are school teachers.

>"This has been a complete shock to this little town," said Enrique
Gonzales, 48, who went to high school with Rodriguez and also knew Borrego.

>"No one expected this."
>
>Sabinal is a long way from Nashville, where Rodriguez was once toasted  as
an up-and-coming star of country music. Born to Mexican American parents,
Rodriguez has said he ran with gangs and was arrested four times by the
time he was 18, mostly for underage drinking.

>After a minor scrape with the law, Rodriguez was facing a jail sentence.
Former Texas Ranger Joaquin Jackson, who knew Rodriguez was a good singer,
helped him secure a job and avoid spending time behind bars.

>After leaving Texas, Rodriguez moved to Nashville with $14 and his guitar.
With the help of country star Tom T. Hall, he landed a recording contract
and released "Pass Me By." The 10 singles that followed topped  the charts.

>But addiction to drugs and alcohol sent his career into a nosedive.
>
>"They almost killed me and about destroyed my career," he told The
Associated Press in 1987.

>"They hurt my throat and my voice. I didn't relate to the audience or look
people in the eye. It took away my sensitivity."

>Rodriguez, whose three divorces and bouts with substance abuse have left
his finances diminished, managed to post bond only after it was reduced
from $250,000 to $50,000.

>Hackebeil said he agreed to ask for a bond reduction because of the length
of time it may take for a grand jury to consider an indictment and because
Rodriguez has ties to the area and "couldn't go anywhere without being seen."