kip l wrote:
"this P2 bag, this Americana/Alt-Country/Roots-Rock thing that gets
discussed here? It's Old People Music"

Well, isn't the american population getting older? Aren't we (me, anyway
-- on the tail end) baby boomers the majority? I'm banking on the hope
that folks my age group -- now that the kids are starting to grow up -
will start going out to clubs again and start spending money on cds
again. If they don't -- well there's another phenomenon. The kids -- the
15 year olds and 12 years olds etc -- are listening to music that WE
like to listen to! And they're listening to the Beach Boys and the
Beatles just as much as Better than Ezra or Fugazi.
Alternative country/country has a problem, though, and it spans the
generations. People have built-in prejudices against it. Some folks at
work bought the HTC cd and a few days later came around to say - gee i
really like the record, and I don't like country. Well -- doo doo head
-- it IS country! That's what country sounds like! THey've got it in
their heads that it's all big beefy sound and look-alikes in big hats
doing the Achy Breaky Heart or flying around a huge concert stage -- or
warblers with big hair in turquoise polyester gowns (not that I'm
dissing big hair!!!! not at all! see:TBouffants).
So if I were betting on a crossover band to be our nirvana, i'd bet on
one of the bands playing kind of punky thrashy country. Not that I
particularly Like that brand of alt country - it's just that attention
brought on whoever that is will expand to the rest of us, -- kind of a
trickle down theory of music.

dq