* MAC WISEMAN TO STAR AT BLUEGRASS AND FIDDLE FEST

    * 01/15/99
      Orlando Sentinel
            (Copyright 1999)
   *    Mac Wiseman happens to be the man who put bluegrass music on the
     map, so it's easy to see why his humility can surprise anyone who
     reads his long list of accomplishments. And boy, is it long. In
     addition to singing, the 73-year-old has acted and picked guitars for
     more than 55 years.
        His 1971 album Lester N' Mac, recorded with duet partner Lester
   * Flatt, became the first bluegrass album to make Billboard magazine's
   * Top 100. In 1992, his album Grassroots to Bluegrass was nominated
   * for a Grammy. He is a founding member of the Country Music
     Association and current president of ROPE (Reunion of Professional
     Entertainers). He has also appeared on several TV shows, such as
     Grand Ole Opry Live, Crook & Chase and Nashville Now.
        Wiseman, a Virginia native, looks forward to his Jan. 23
   * performance in the 5th Annual Bluegrass and Fiddle Championship at
     Yeehaw Junction.
        "The majority of my concerts are made up of requests from the
     audience," he said. High up on the request list are "Jimmy Brown the
     Newsboy" and "Love Letters in the Sand."
        In the eyes of many of his fans, nobody can do it like Mac. His
     distinctive voice, often unsuccessfully imitated, has become his
     trademark. If it will ever give out seems to be the question of the
   * century for bluegrass fans.
        "I've been trying to retire for the past 10 years," Wiseman said.
     "The harder I try, the busier I get. As long as health permits, I'd
     still like to do more concerts."
   *    Another headliner in the upcoming Bluegrass and Fiddle
     Championship is Gilbert Hancock. A native of Polk City, Hancock
     mastered the five-string banjo at the tender age of 7. He became a
   * member of the Bluegrass Little Bits Band that played throughout
     Georgia and Florida. Now, the 30-year-old has mastered his own
     style.
        "I take all of these different styles and put them together," he
     said. "I do a lot of joke telling and storytelling. It's kind of
     like down-home humor."

        After the festival in Yeehaw Junction, he plans to put together a
   * band, called the Bits of Bluegrass. Meanwhile, he's making
   * preparations to put on an admirable performance at the Bluegrass and
     Fiddle Championship.
        "I hope I can take them away from their problems a little while,"
     he said. "I like to make people laugh. I just like to get up there
     and have a good time."
   *    Wiseman's advice to any bluegrass musician who wants to make a
     mark is all about staying grounded.
        "It takes an awful lot of dedication. It's difficult for any new
     artist to get started," he said. "They can do it as long as they
     enjoy it, but don't quit your day job. It's a rewarding career, but
     not an easy one."
   *    Despite the lack of airplay, bluegrass music, often considered the
   * roots of country music, has made a comeback the past few years. Its
     bluesy harmonies, rapid tempo and high-pitched vocal and instrumental
     sounds have been attracting a large crowd of younger, more
     contemporary followers.
        "I see that we're making inroads into the more metropolitan areas
   * and the bluegrass festivals get bigger and bigger every year," said
     Wiseman. "We're making progress, but I don't see us giving Garth
     Brooks any trouble anytime soon."
   *    The 5th Annual Bluegrass and Fiddle Championship will be Thursday
     through Jan. 24 at Yeehaw Junction on the grounds of the historic
     Desert Inn. Show times are from 4 to 11:30 p.m. on Jan. 22, from
     noon to 11 p.m. on Jan. 23 and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Jan. 24.
     Tickets cost from $9 to $28. Tickets for children ages 6 to 12 are
     $2 per day or $5 per weekend. Parking is $1.
        Mail any ticket request to Steve Dittman, 4210 Breezewood Drive,
     Zephyrhills, 33540. For more information, call (813) 783-7205.