On 21 Jan 99 at 20:16, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Date:          Thu, 21 Jan 1999 20:16:30 EST
From:          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To:            "passenger side" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:       Re: Americana discussion

<<  >>

But how do you know that what sounds good today *is* gonna sound good ten
years from now? Does this mean you sidestep everything that includes any sort
of trendy touches, be they in instrumentation or production value? That would
be a bummer. That, to me, eliminates some really great music. Like Beck and
Nirvana, to name two. (Likely bad examples for this *country* discussion, but
what the hell.) Maybe the two best, most important rock artists of the decade
who owe plenty in sound to the decade. Does that mean they aren't great? I
don't think so.

I'm curious to know what you think about retro acts like Wayne Hancock and the
Derailers. Do you like 'em? Would you call them timeless?

Just jawin',

Neal Weiss

Neal,

Met Wayne at an appearance at a club in Rochester NY
on June 11 1998. In a word the best 3 hour non stop show
I ever saw. He just sang,no break, 3 song encore and Evan
Johns was playing guitar with him on that tour. My brother
and I got there early and introduced ourselves to him, chatted,
and without a doubt one of the best performers and nicest
guys around today.

The club had a poster advertising his appearance and was
able to procure 2 of them. All the members of the band signed
and it is one of the neatest momentos of any event I have
ever attended.

Derailers without a doubt one of the best groups today. Can't
wait to add their 4th release to my CD's. Do you know whats
going on with them?

Both display timeless quality in their music. Trends come and
go but both these artists take distinct genres of music(Waynes
affection for big band and Hank Williams) and the Derailers
Bakersfield sounding style, put a 90's twist to them and introduce
a whole new audience to the particular styles. Both  keepers.

I tend to gravitate against the trends of the times except that the
swing thing got me. Nice to hear it all again but with a lot of fresh
faces and varying styles.

thanks for the insight,

rik