records, I mean.

The college town where I live -- isolated in SE Ohio -- is in a tizzy
because the university is poised to let Wal-Mart be an anchor store in a
new retail complex on university land (OU). Anyhow, I was wondering if
anyone has any insights into how Wal-Mart affects the mom and pop stores
in a small town, including record, music and book stores. I know what the
conventional wisdom is -- that Wal-Mart comes in like Genghis Khan (and
unlike NATO, so far) and just decimates all the little guys, but Athens,
Ohio is a little different, in that a lot of folks already leave town to
shop elsewhere. Anyhow, any insights from you worldly folks would be
appreciated. -- Terry Smith