On Thu, 1 Apr 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > Gender: Continuing the trend from last year, women accounted for a higher
> > percentage of units purchased than men (51.3% vs. 48.7%).
>
>   really?  Does that look funny to anyone else?  Whenever I'm in record
> stores it seems to me as if it's overwhelmingly male, at least largely so.
> Of course, those are usually impeccable indie joints <g>, but....
>
>    Come to think of it, I guess whenever I do wander through a Wal-Mart or
> Target or similar place it does seem to be largely women.   Still I wonder
> about that stat....

Probably because a lot of women have crappy taste in music...
They're the ones buying the Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, etc. albums and the
Titanic Soundtrack...which are all usually #1. I'd say chicks also buy
most of Britney Spears and N'SYNC material. And usually they'll buy them
at a discount store like Target or some place like Blockbuster Music...
At the music stores I go to, which are all INDIE stores of course, I'm
surrounded my a lot of "cool" alternaguys and punk guys. Hardly any
chicks...