Jon Weisberger quoted Eddie Adcock:

> "...there is a neat thing that takes place in the mind - just like some of
> the finer art in the world - when you hit upon that note exactly the way
> the guy intended to hit it the first time.  Then you can get the idea and
> the feeling and the emotion that caused him to do it.  They're not your
> emotions; you're working out of his brain even though he may be dead and
> gone.  It does something for you that nothing can do....And if you hang in
> there and try to duplicate it in every way, then you can experience what he
> experienced when he did even though it may have been fifty years ago.  You
> can feel him go through that."

This isn't unlike something I've heard classical musicians express--and it
makes sense, too. Although we don't think of classical musicians, or groups of
them, "covering" Schubert, say,  one would think the experience of playing
Schubert might not be all that dissimilar from what Adcock is expressing here
(just substitute "150" or "250" years for his "50"). The only quote on this I
can think of at the moment is a phony, since it comes not from a real musician
but a fictional one...but in Robert Stone's HALL OF MIRRORS the clarinetist
hero thinks very similar thoughts about Mozart's clarinet concerto...

And speaking of covers, one that isn't note-for-note but is closer than I
would expect and is, it seems to me, mighty true to the spirit of the original
while being totally unique as well, is Cake's "Sad Songs and Waltzes". This
has been out for a long time, but I've only just discovered it, and I dig it.

Dallas

http://home.pacbell.net/dallasc/