Jon posted a lovely quote:

>I found the quote I mentioned earlier in the thread on covers, and it's
>every bit as good as I remember it.  The speaker is Eddie Adcock, banjoist
>and flat-picking guitarist extraordinaire; he was interviewed by Barry
>Willis in 1990 (the interview appears in Willis's gigantic, messy book,
>_America's Music: Bluegrass_):
>
>"...there is a neat thing that takes place in the mind - just like some of
>the finer art in the world - when you hit upon that note exactly the way
>the guy intended to hit it the first time.  Then you can get the idea and
>the feeling and the emotion that caused him to do it.  They're not your
>emotions; you're working out of his brain even though he may be dead and
>gone.  It does something for you that nothing can do....And if you hang in
>there and try to duplicate it in every way, then you can experience what he
>experienced when he did even though it may have been fifty years ago.  You
>can feel him go through that."

I couldn't help but wonder if the spirit of what caused Eddie Adcock to so
beautifully express his thoughts about what he felt when duplicating
another artists work wasn't something like the feelings that would cause,
say, Billy Bragg to claim that he was "collaborating" with Woody Guthrie.

Not that he was "right" in claiming that...<g>

b.s.

"Time begins on Opening Day" -Thomas Boswell