On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, P2's reigning Singer-Songwriter's Friend wrote:

> I fully expected "The Mountain" to stake a claim at the top
> of my "best of" list for 99, and it is up close, but surprisingly
> (to me, anyhow) it has been replaced by another great album
> that I just can't stop listening to...  Terry Allen's "Salivation".

It is indeed a good album, but these are the ones that are really doin' it
for me so far this year:

1. Mandy Barnett - I've Got A Right To Cry (Sire)
2. Kelly Willis - What I Deserve (Rykodisc)
3. The Damnations TX - Half Mad Moon (Sire)
4. Old 97s - Fight Songs (Elektra)
5. Steve Earle & the Del McCoury Band - The Mountain (E-Squared)
6. Mike Henderson & the Bluebloods - Thicker Than Water (Dead Reckoning)
7. J.D. Crowe & the New South - Come On Down To My World (Rounder)
8. Tom Waits - Mule Variations (Epitaph)
9. Wilco - Summerteeth (Reprise)
10. Ricky Skaggs - Ancient Tones (Skaggs Family)

Honorable mentions: the Gourds, Thee Michelle Gun Elephant, the Del
McCoury Band, David Olney, the Roots

I believe I've commented on most of 'em, 'cept Waits's new one (still
experimenting, but also more based in blues and gospel than he's been in
awhile, and the songwriting's as strong as ever).  And I have no idea what
all that bluegrass is doin' up there -- good thing the year's still
young.<g>  In fact, the whole list is pretty tentative -- #1 is head and
shoulders above the rest, but I could see me switchin' most of the others
around tomorrow if I was in a different mood.  Anyway, three of 'em aren't
even out yet -- Mandy's new one hits the stores next Tuesday the 13th, and
the Old 97s and Waits albums come out two weeks later on the 27th.--don