The listmeister says:

> On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Ferguson, Dan wrote:
>
> > If you can find it, the "George Jones Sings Leon Payne" release on
> > Hollywood (????) is a pretty good substitute if you can't find the real
> > deal.
>
> I've avoided picking that up simply 'cuz the sound from that label (and
> all the other trashy IMG labels) is generally abysmal.

That's certainly a defensible attitude, but sometimes I've gone ahead
anyhow, as with J. D. Crowe's Bluegrass Reunion (originally titled The New
South), as the album's simply not obtainable in any other format (I think
about 10 vinyl copies were pressed originally), or with a George Jones
collection I bought in order to have "When The Grass Grows Over Me," which
doesn't seem to be available anywhere else, or with Jim & Jesse's Starday
sides, which aren't available anywhere else.

The thing that's so frustrating about the lousy quality of most of IMG's
stuff is that they have, on occasion, done a very fine job, as with the
Stanley Brothers Early Starday-King Years boxed set, or the Reno & Smiley
boxed set, or more recently with the 2-CD Jim Eanes set; that makes their
usual crappy output that much more annoying.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/