>he would cut a single, make an acetate of it on
>the studio lathe, and walk upstairs with it to KXOL radio (where I
>eventually was a kid DJ) and if the PD liked it, he'd stick it into the
>night rotation to see how the kids responded to it. If it did anything,
>Major Bill would press it up and put it in the stores and the rest would
>be history. Sam Phillips used to do the same thing in Memphis with Dewey
>Phillips. These were major, mass-market radio outlets.

"A lot of record executives in their ivory towers could come down into a
record shop and work on Saturday night in the ghetto behind the counter and
learn a hell of a lot about the record business. That was the best test
market in the world. We literally took the demos up there, put them on the
turntable, and watched the reaction."
        --Jim Stewart, Stax Records, on the adjacent Satellite Record Shop