For a long time I've wanted to pick up a Ricky Nelson recording, but
I've been confused as to where to start, not to mention that his stuff
is only rarely in retail stock.

Music Guide recommendations (I checked the AMG and Music Hound) vary a
bit. Both mention the now out of print LEGENDARY MASTERS on EMI America
as the one to get. As for in print stuff there's a single disc ROCKIN
WITH RICKY on Ace available as an import, though I've read that a the
two records RICKY NELSON VOLUME 1 and 2 are more complete and just 5 or
6 bucks more than that single Ace disc.

Any opinions on where to go for this hole in my collection?

thanks,
b.s.