William asks:

>  Namely: Did they ever
> determine whether the plane crash was definitely caused by
> free-basing? Or was the cause something unrelated? C'mon, I
> gotta know...

I don't know the answer to that one, but I also learned something else
about the crash recently that I didn't know.

After SXSW I was looking to find out more about James Intveld, an LA
rockabilly-honky-tonk guy I saw in Austin and really dug, etc. Since then
I've scored Intveld's album (very good, I recommend it)
and learned lots more about him, particulary from Billy Poore's
book, *Rockabilly: A Forty-Year Journey.*

Turns out that Ricky Nelson's band, killed along with him in the crash,
was actually Jame's band that had gone out on tour with Ricky.  Jame's
brother Rick Intveld was the drummer.  Apparently this band, fronted by
James not Ricky, appears in an early-80s movied Judd Hirsch movie called
"Roadhouse 66". Etc.

Good to see a Ricky Nelson thread, in any event.

--junior