Beautiful post, Marie.

Kelly
-----Original Message-----
From: Marie Arsenault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: passenger side <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wednesday, April 14, 1999 12:22 PM
Subject: Journey of Hope - long

Indulge me friends. This is kind of long.

I saw a very moving musical experiences
on Monday night. I caught the Journey of Hope benefit
concert at the Ryman, featuring Steve Earle, Emmylou Harris,
Indigo Girls, and Jackson Brown. It's an anti-death penalty benefit.
They are taking this baby on the road. I highly urge you all to attend.
You can get more information at www.journayofhope.org.

It was an evening filled with wonderful surprises. And not for any
obvious reasons. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't attend this
show
because it was an anti-death penalty benefit. I went because it was
Steve and Emmy at the Ryman. The great cause was a bonus. But,
I was very moved by the people who spoke out that night.

Steve Earle started the show with an acoustic performance very
similar to the one he's doing with the Del McCoury band. He sounded
wonderful as always. He played a bunch of songs. I can never remember
the set lists. He spoke eloquently and passionately about
his views on the death penalty. (Though his non-death penalty banter
was the same stuff I've been hearing for a few years now. he needs
some new material) Steve talked again about his witnessing an execution
last fall. Even though I've heard Earle tell this story before, it never
fails to move me.

Steve was followed by the Indigo Girls. This was my first surprise
of the evening. I didn't know that the Indigo Girls were alt-country.
They had banjo! I was really impressed with their performance.
Great songs, stellar harmonies, and fine musicianship.
They remarked that they hadn't played out in several months,
so they were kind of rusty.  They sounded perfect from where
I was sitting.  A Dixie Chick and Terry Clarke helped out on
vocals for *Closer to Fine*.

The second surprise and the highlight of the evening for me
was Sister Helen Prejean's talk (I hesitate to call it a speech
or preaching. She doesn't do either.  Sister Helen *inspires*.).
Sister Helen's words were also eloquent, funny, smart, touching,
and filled with common sense. She also brought out to the
stage families of death row inmates and families of murder victims.
Each person came up to the mic, said the name of their family
member, and how the details of the murder/convictin.
Seeing the families of both murder victims and death row
inmates holding hands on the Ryman stage was one of the more
moving experiences of my life. Regardless of your views on the death
penalty, you'd have to have a cold, cold heart not to be moved by such
a display of forgiveness and compassion.

Jackson Browne played next. He played several songs and spent about
an hour tuning his guitar. He didn't really do much for me.
Though, seeing Browne and Earle duet on *Cocaine* was
kind of cool.

Then there was Emmylou, Emmylou, Emmylou. Emmylou at the Ryman.
Emmylou backed by Buddy and Julie Miller at the Ryman. It was perfection.
Emmy and Earle sang "Goodbye" together. That has to be one of the saddest
songs ever written. The strains of sadness, longing, and regret in Steve
and Emmy's voices bouncing off the Ryman's wall just completely broke
my heart. It just added to the emotional intensity of the evening.

The show ended with all the artists participating in two sing-a-longs.
"Christmas in July" (an odd choice for a group sing) and "Goodnight Irene".

This seemed to be anything but another *cause celeb* benefit.
Everyone seemed very sincere in their involvement.
It felt like a true grass roots effort. The artists inspired us with
their creativity and talent. Sister Helen opened our minds with
her passionate and humorous words. The volunteers motivated us
through their acts of commitment and dedication.  And our hearts were
opened by the victims' and inmates' families display of love, compassion,
and forgiveness. The journey of hope is what we all hope that music will
accomplish. It's a perfect example of what the music industry is capable of
at it's very best. The Ryman was filled with people, fans and supporters,
not celebrities. It was the anti-CSRF. It's so rare that an event like this
actually accomplishes its goal. It did give me hope anyway.
Hope in people, hope in the music industry, hope in general.

I urge you all to attend this event if it comes within a day's drive of you.

marie (where's my edge?)