I<<
 Have to chime in with The The's "Uncertain Smile",
 both the _Soul Mining_ and the 12" versions.

Man, I haven't thought of that song in a while.
and it was a good one.
It also makes me think of The Church's "Unguarded Moment"
I think that was a single.

and how about the Bluebell's "Cath"

I need to go back to my old mix tape of 80's singles to check on more.

also, is part of being a "perfect single" is that it is the one good thing
from the album and saves you from having to buy the entire record?

In that case, I want to mention, the Monroes' "What do all the people know"
a good bit of 80's power pop from an (deservably?) obscure band.

MichaelBerick