I confess to not being able to follow the thread much, so never mind if
I'm off base. Just pickin those nits.....

As for singles, there is a pretty good book (by David Marsh?) of best
singles (rock and pop) and it is a -of course completely subjective
listing of great singles and why. A good read, inspires you to go back
and listen to say "Ticket To Ride" again...

Singles generally conjure up time and place, particulary summer singles,
so of course to pick the best means to pull together not just perfect
musical moments, but personal moments as well and combine em for a swell
experience. "It's So Nice To Be With You" qualifies for me, tho the song
ain't so hot. I still can't hear it without hearing the crackling sounds
of the 45 we had. But you're all talking punk and new wave singles,
ain't ya?  Lords of the New Church: Open Your Eyes, 1983.