Neal wrote re: his attempt to explain "the Sparkle Boys":
     >The moral of this story: I forget that my circle of friends --
     >physical ones or those in e-mail form -- are a smidgen of a smidgen
     >of the population. The real world doesn't think the way we do.

     Mm-hmm. This is my biggest misgiving about having anything to do with
     journalism, at least for the mass audience a daily newspaper (even one
     with intellectual pretensions, like the one I work at) implies. I love
     writing about music, but I don't want to have to start from scratch
     each time - and yet I do want to aid in popularizing things I love, at
     least some part of my little brain wants to. So what reference is too
     obscure? I wrote the Sparklehorse piece assuming, for instance, that
     nobody would get the Vic Chesnutt remarks without some explanation,
     that the Flaming Lips explanation would be caught by some but was
     ignorable by most, and that people would know who Tom Waits and
     Roberto Benigni were, and probably what Down By Law is. That last
     assumption seems seriously dubious, frankly - secretly, it
     communicated that "if you don't know who Tom Waits is, go find that
     out before you worry about Sparklehorse." Likewise the beggarly
     description of the Varnaline set as Velvets-to-Huskers, a dead
     giveaway of lack of space and one that, again, 10 percent of readers
     would grasp.

     On the other hand, it's nice to be able to provide some media material
     for that 10 percent to read, since mostly they're ignored by all but
     the hip-music press and forced to endure endless Celine Dion and
     Shania Twain tripe. (This spoken from a Canadian perspective.)

     Not that I'm so smart myself - I still have a hell of a lot to learn
     about mainstream music history, since I ignored it growing up. I often
     think of going and taking a year in popular-music studies at a
     university to really give myself the background in straight rock, jazz
     and country that I have in more off-beat stuff.

     Still, music is one area where I do actually have friends who don't
     know the same things I do. And find myself required to explain things,
     which (Neal's right) is a good and humbling exercise.

     More broadly, though, I look at surveys and see how the vast majority
     of North Americans believe they have a personal relationship with
     Jesus and still admire Ronald Reagan - and no offense to any P2er who
     does, at least not right now - but what shocks me is that I don't know
     anybody who answers to those descriptions. Like, not a single soul. In
     a sense I'm happy to live that way, since it means I'm surrounded by
     people with whom I have some common ground, even those who aren't my
     friends - but on the other hand, I fear that I'm not really
     participating in society as such. This wouldn't bother/frighten me if
     I could make a living writing the strange creative stuff I do, where
     being "outside" is expected - but I can't.

     Even putting pragmatics aside, I also do feel some pull of citizenship
     and compassion to make a better attempt to grasp where Other People
     are coming from.

     That's one of the reasons I'm feeling more attracted to both
     traditional country music and contemporary Pop Muzik these days, both
     things of The Real World, while simultaneously getting more and more
     fascinated by free-improv and other Outside stuff, methinks: A
     soundtrack for the schizo schematics of my mental landscape.

     Anyway, thanks for the story and the stuff-to-chew-on, Neal.

     Carl W.