Here's a couple more underappreciated albums that I haven't seen listed
yet.

1) Walter Hyatt: King Tears
     - A part of MCA's extremely short-lived "Masters Series'.  Great
loungey country-tinged jazz - it sounds a lot better than the description.
Voice perfectly suited for material - especially the cover of Charles
Trenet's Que Reste-til de nos Amour.

2) David Halley: Stray Dog Talk
     If you like that high lonesome Texas singer-songwriter stuff, this
one's for you.  Appealing voice and some real purdy songs - especially
the slow ones like "Rain Just Falls".  Fans of the new Beaver Nelson
(speaking of more recent underappreciated stuff) would be well advised
to seek this one out.

3) Jann Browne: Tell Me Why
     I've complained about the lack of attention given to Ms. Brown
a couple of other times, but this album really is a great slice of
SoCal country.

4) Paul Kelly and the Messengers: Comedy
     I'll join Carl Z. in praising this guy, especially on this release.
Just a great pop-rock album from end to end.

  And here's a bunch from the late 1980s

1) Kirsty MacColl: Kite
2) Nick Lowe: Pinker and Prouder than Previous (with a name like that...
3) Matthew Sweet: Earth (well, ok, the first half - a lot more synthy
                         than his subsequent release)
4) Sam Phillips: The Indescribable Wow
                                         Evan Cooper
p.s. in reference to an earlier thread - The Jam still hold up durn well
in my book.