> --You Am I--"Hi Fi Way"--the second album by these Aussies, where they
> turn down the Stooges, turn up The Jam and get spectacular results.

Next to Afghan Whigs & Curve, THE best concert I saw last year.
The lead singer has a charisma that controls a crowd like none
I've seen, and the band's energy is palpable.  I kick myself for the
number of their Seattle shows I've missed, and vow it'll never
happen again.  Amazing show.  I tend to prefer the third album,
_Hourly, Daily_ and the 4th, _#4 Record_, to their rawer first
two.

> Sidewinders--"Auntie Ramos' Pool Hall"--big, loud, 2-guitar roots rock. I
> can't imagine a Scorchers fan not liking this one.
>
> Steve Kirsch
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Another favorite band.  This would be my favorite out of
their Sidewinders releases.  Underappreciated as well,
and even more brilliant, was their first release as the
Sand Rubies (s/t cd).

FYI, Dave Slutes (vocals, guitars) has a release coming
on Contingency (http://www.contingency.com) with his
side-project, Maryanne.  10 fine power-pop songs - out
May 4th, I think.  And Rich Hopkins (guitars) has a bunch
of stuff in the works for '99 - Luminarios, a Billy Sedlmayr (sp?)
disc, and some others I can't remember.  Billy co-wrote, or
wrote, my favorite tracks on the Luminarios discs _El Paso_
and _Glorious Sounds of Rich Hopkins & Luminarios_.

Chris