It's taken me a while to get around to this, but I said I would, so ...

As some of you may know, since it seems to have been one of the most
notorious of rock 'n' roll tours, the Byrds visited South Africa in 1968
following the release of Sweetheart Of The Rodeo and some dates in the
UK when they were joined on stage by Doug Dillard, if memory serves.  I
seem to have read on the list recently that live recordings from these
gigs are included on a recent Gram Parsons bootleg.

Anyway the group, then consisting of McGuinn, Hillman, Parsons and
Hillman's cousin, Kevin Kelley (ex-Rising Sons) on drums, were due to
tour SA directly afterwards.  However, Parsons never got on the plane
from London to Johannesburg.  History has it that he found SA's
apartheid policies too objectionable.  I was fortunate enough to
interview McGuinn and Hillman a couple of years ago for a radio show on
the Byrds and Burritos and Hillman's view was that, while this may have
had something to do with it, Gram actually just wanted to continue
hanging out with the Rolling Stones.  Membership of the Byrds had given
Parsons a rock 'n' roll profile, and his friendship with Keith Richards
would raise that profile.  Whatever the reason, it seems he only told
the group on the day they were leaving England.  By the way, I found
Hillman to be a terrific interviewee, very friendly and forthcoming and,
needless to say, a huge Gene Clark fan, which didn't hurt my impression
of him either.

Of course, South Africa was expecting a four piece, and a four piece was
what we got, roadie Carlos Bernal stepping somewhat shakily into the
breach, and spending most of the concert I saw - and, according to
reports, most of the tour - with his back to the audience.  He clearly
didn't know all the chords and, according to McGuinn, who recalls the
tour as being "very weird", didn't actually play much at all.

He appeared in newspaper photos of the band, identified as Gram Parsons
- those of us who bought Melody Maker and New Musical Express and knew
what Parsons looked like were confused, since Bernal looked nothing like
him, but only discovered later what was going on.  An older friend of
mine met the band and told me that the rhythm guitarist was actually a
roadie called Carlos.  Whatever happened to him?  Does anyone know?

I was 15 years old and completely taken with the fact that my clear
favourite band - only the Kinks competed - was playing in my town.  I
was then living in Port Elizabeth and, if SA was isolated, PE was
totally off the map.  I remember much of the concert, though I was
convinced, and remain so, that it was stunning.  The reality was
probably quite different.  Besides the shortage of one member, McGuinn
had been ill and Hillman did a fair amount of the singing - I
specifically recall him singing The Christian Life, for example, and
maybe even You Ain't Going Nowhere.  McGuinn's extended Eight Miles High
held me enthralled, and I was most impressed that Kelley hit the drums
hard enough to break his sticks.

The group was panned in the press.  English and Australian P2-ers might
be interested in the fact that the concert in PE was reviewed by Peter
Pollock, then a South African cricket player and journalist on the local
paper (his father was the editor) and now SA's national chairman of
selectors.  He liked the support band, local poppers the Staccatos who
had hits with covers of the Bee Gees' Spicks And Specks and Solomon
Burke's Cry To Me, and hated the Byrds.  He was a bit of a local
celebrity, easily recognized by a cricket fan like myself, and I saw him
walk out of the show early.

The group was hounded by negative press throughout the tour, with dark
murmurings of left wing politics and drug taking following them around,
and to say they left under a cloud is an understatement.

Who knows why they came.  Only a few of us knew anything except Mr
Tambourine Man and Turn Turn Turn, though You Ain't Going Nowhere got a
bit of radio play while they were in the country.  I'm glad they did,
though.  Where else would I find anything to write to P2 about?

Richard