Don Yates wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, M Rubin wrote:
>
> > Just added an essay on the "Alt.Country" showings at the recent SXSW
> > conference on my homepages, in case anyone was interested.
>
> > http://markrubin.com
>
> Y'all might do well to check out that provocative li'l essay.  It brings
> up the same kind of troublesome issues surrounding alt-country that we've
> dealt with here from time to time.  Too bad the writer (and no, it's not
> me<g>) didn't name names.--don

Well, yeah, it is too bad that the writer didn't name names, and while it
might not have seen print otherwise, it's too bad we don't know who wrote it.
There's some stuff there that I'd like to hear specifics on. I saw a couple
of showcases with some stuff I didn't care for, but by and large I enjoyed
myself. Where was this guy?

And y'know, he might not have seen fit to name names, but we could...

Like I said about pop music last week, there's always a lot more mediocre or
worse bands than good or great ones. Do those bands, in whatever genre, drag
that style of music down for the other people playing it? What makes "the
roots music movement" different?

Anonymous asserts:

> The saddest part is the proliferation of these dime a dozen Americana bands
> is what killing the whole roots music movement. The pie is only so big for
> musicians, clubs, labels, and the more slices there are the less
> there is for the folks who really love this music and deserve an opportunity
> to make a living playing it.

So is this really true? And if so, why more so for this music than any other,
where nobody mentions how the lesser-quality bands are spoiling it for
everybody else?

b.s.