On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Jon Weisberger wrote:

> As for why the "roots music movement" is different in this regard, the short
> answer, IMO, is unfamiliarity.  People's exposure to bluegrass, or
> alt.country, for instance, is a lot smaller and a lot chancier, hence the
> greater likelihood that hearing someone who, pardon my French, sucks will
> turn the first-time observer off; s/he's more likely to take the lousy
> performance as typical of the genre.

That's assuming that the performance is in fact lousy. What about bands
that put on a show which may be entertaining even though their music
bears no resemblance to the genre they're billed under?

Heard a Freakwater song one time and thought it was "interesting,"

Geff King * email [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www2.ari.net/gking/
"It is a tool of ignorance." -- Joe Gracey, re: bass guitar