Playlist for Progressive Torch and Twang
Tuesdays, 8 p.m. to midnight
WDBM, 88.9 FM, G-4 Holden Hall, East Lansing, MI 48824
Your hosts: Doug Neal and Jamie DePolo
Questions, comments?  [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Roots rockin', hip-shakin', soul-swayin' music!"

Playlist for April 20, 1999

Tonight we wrapped up our MerleFest '99 contest by announcing the winners
of our essay contest. The lucky contestant was Colleen Murdock and her
husband, neither of whom had ever been to MerleFest before, but who are
excited to go this year. The contest was a tough call - we had a number
of good essays to read through, but Colleen's was the consensus favorite.
 Her essay can be found on our website: http://www.msu.edu/~depolo.
There will be several runners-up who will receive CDs of MerleFest artists.
The Americana Department here would like to send a big thank you to the
labels that contributed, particularly Sugar Hill, Rounder and Skaggs
Family/Ceili.
We'll see you all down in Wilkesboro, NC! We also featured the new
Spade Cooley reissue on Bloodshot Revival/Soundies.

Format is:
Artist - Song
Album/Label

Link Wray - Rawhide (T&T Theme Song)
Walkin' With Link/Epic-Legacy

Mike Ireland & Holler - Biggest Torch in Town
Learning How to Live/SubPop-Sire

Mike Ireland & Holler - House of Secrets
Learning How to Live/SubPop-Sire

Fred Eaglesmith - Pontiac
Lipstick, Lies & Gasoline/Razor & Tie

Bap Kennedy & Steve Earle - Dirty Old Town (request)
Domestic Blues/E-Squared

Richard Buckner - Jewelbomb
Since/MCA

Mike Ness - Ballad of a Lonely Man
Cheating at Solitaire/Time Bomb

Mike Ness - Cheating at Solitaire
Cheating at Solitaire/Time Bomb

Alejandro Escovedo - I Was Drunk
Bourbonitis Blues/Bloodshot

Alejandro Escovedo - Pale Blue Eyes
Bourbonitis Blues/Bloodshot

Vic Chestnutt - New Town (request)
About to Choke/Capitol

Billy Bragg & Wilco - Hesitating Beauty (request)
Mermaid Ave/Elektra

Kelly Willis - Talk Like That
What I Deserve/Rykodisc

The Meat Purveyors - Like a Virgin/Lucky Star (request)
The Madonna Trilogy 7"/Bloodshot

The Weepers - Where in the Hell
Demos

Hot Soup! - Starsong
Hot Soup!/SMD

The Old Joe Clarks - Spent
Metal Shed Blues/Checkered Past

Jason Eklund - Off the Ground
A Streamliner's Duet/Gadfly

Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule
Mule Variations/Epitaph

Michelle Shocked - Fever Breaks (request)
Kind Hearted Woman/Mood Swing

Alejandro Escovedo - Nickel and a Spoon (request)
With These Hands/Rykodisc

The Setters - I Wanna Be Your Dog
The Setters/Watermelon

Sandy Denny & the Strawbs - Who Knows Where the Time Goes (request)
Self-Titled/Hannibal

Richard Thompson - Mystery Wind
Rumor and Sigh/Capitol

Doc & Richard Watson - Honey Please Don't Go
Third Generation Blues/Sugar Hill

Lucinda Williams - Make Me Down a Pallet on Your Floor
Ramblin'/Smithsonian-Folkways

Steve Earle - You Know the Rest
Sessions at West 54th/PBS

James King - A Few Old Memories
Lonesome and Then Some/Rounder

Tim O'Brien - Tombstone Blues
Red on Blonde/Sugar Hill

The Nashville Bluegrass Band - I Got a Date
Unleashed/Sugar Hill

The Del McCoury Band - Get Down on Your Knees and Pray
The Family/Ceili

Steve Earle & the Del McCoury Band - Carrie Brown
Sessions at West 54th/PBS

Flatt & Scruggs and the Foggy Mountain Boys - Mountain Dew
At Carnegie Hall/Koch

David Grisman with Doc Watson & Alan O'Bryant - Nine Pound Hammer
Steel Rails: Classic Railroad Songs, Vol. 1/Rounder

Hazel Dickens & Alice Gerrard - Gonna Lay Down My Old Guitar
Pioneering Women of Bluegrass/Smithsonian Folkways

Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder - Pig in a Pen
Ancient Tones/Skaggs Family

Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder - Get Up John
Bluegrass Rules!/Skaggs Family

Doc & Merle Watson - Russian Grass
Home Sweet Home/Sugar Hill

Jones, Dickens & Hawker - Old River
Heart of a Singer/Rounder

Longview - Will You Be Faithful While I'm Gone
Self-Titled/Rounder

The Del McCoury Band - Beauty of My Dreams
Mac, Doc & Del/Sugar Hill

Mac, Doc & Del - More Pretty Girls Than One
Mac, Doc & Del/Sugar Hill

Bad Livers - Workin' on a Building (request)
Dust on the Bible/Quarterstick

Bad Livers - Lathe Crick (request)
Hogs on the Highway/Sugar Hill

Gillian Welch - One More Dollar (request)
Revival/Almo Sounds

Iris Dement - Let the Mystery Be
Infamous Angel/Philo

Jones & Leva - Cold Black Heart
Light Enough to Find My Way/Rounder

Ginny Hawker - The Butcher Boy
The Harry Smith Connection: A Live Tribute/Smithsonian Folkways

Allison Krauss & Union Station - Happiness
So Long, So Wrong/Rounder

Spade Cooley & the Western Swing Dance Gang - Steel Guitar Rag
Shame on You/Bloodshot Revival-Soundies

Spade Cooley & the Western Swing Dance Gang - South
Shame on You/Bloodshot Revival-Soundies

Spade Cooley & the Western Swing Dance Gang - Topeka Polka
Shame on You/Bloodshot Revival-Soundies

Spade Cooley & the Western Swing Dance Gang - Down Home Rag
Shame on You/Bloodshot Revival-Soundies

Spade Cooley & the Western Swing Dance Gang (w/Tex Williams) - Honey Song
Shame on You/Bloodshot Revival-Soundies

Spade Cooley & the Western Swing Dance Gang (w/Tex Williams) - Shame on You
Shame on You/Bloodshot Revival-Soundies

Jimmy Murphy - We Live A Long Time to Get Old
Electricity/Sugar Hill

The Louvin Brothers - Knoxville Girl
When I Stop Dreaming: The Best of the Louvin Bros./Razor & Tie

Split-Lip Rayfield - Combine
Self-Titled/Bloodshot

Doug Neal/Jamie DePolo
[EMAIL PROTECTED][EMAIL PROTECTED]