On Mon, 26 Apr 1999 14:27:15 -0400 Matt Benz
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sorry, I didn't hear it that way at all.
> Man, you folks are all up in arms over a nice introduction to BG 101
> taught by Ricky Skaggs. The woman asked him questions. "Why would you
> want to sing like that?" means as "opposed to other styles" re: where
> did it come from. There was nothing wrong with the segment at all.

This was gonna be my reply but Matt beat me to it. The
question was more like "Why is the 'high lonesome sound'
high" meaning why is it that there are there those
exquisite high harmonies as opposed to low harmonies, and
what does it mean musically. RS then went on to explain the
gospel influences on bluegrass and so on. I thought it was
an astute question.

Man, all this hippie/NPR-bashing has me grumpy.

William Cocke
Senior Writer
HSC Development
University of Virginia