On Mon, 26 Apr 1999 11:48:49 +0000, Ph. Barnard wrote:

> Yeah, I've been enjoying this thread too.  I'm chiming in late, but
> hasn't anyone mentioned Julius Hemphill?  He was my fave of the
> bunch.  Saw him a lot over the years and followed him from his B.A.G.
> days in St Louis to his New York phase and untimely death three years
> or so.  It's not crucial,  but I always thought Julius was the
> initial organizer of the WSQ.

Hemphill's biggest role in influencing the direction of the WSQ was in his
compositions.  In the early days, Lake and Murray did a little composing,
and Bluiett was responsible for that incredible signature tune Hattie Wall,
but Hemphill did about 90% of the writing.  I would say that most of the
tunes folks knew them for, with the exception of Hattie Wall, were Hemphill
compositions - Steppin, Bordertown, My First Winter.

My personal favorite Hemphill record was recorded in 1993 - Five Chord Stud.
While recent heart surgery prevented him from playing, he did all the
composing and conducting for a saxophone sextet featuring Tim Berne, Marty
Erlich, and James Carter.  That is one excellent record.  Kids, can you say
"Blues-Drenched"?

~Greg