On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Ph. Barnard wrote:

> I've been hearing some enthusiastic comments about a Western Swing CD
> re-release:  Billy Jack Wills /  "Crazy, Man, Crazy" / on Joaquin
> Records??
>
> Although it's possible I've heard this guy on a compilation, the name
> of *this* Wills isn't ringing a bell for me.  Anyone know about this?
> A California act, and apparently this recording is a radio
> transcription from the early 50s.

Then Don added:

>...Not only did they play with a lot of energy and excitement, but
>they were also pretty musically sophisticated, and they put out some
>complex swing stuff that came close to be-bop.

I just found the "Billy Jack Wills and his Western Swing Band" CD in the
used bin recently and upon listening couldn't believe how much jazz and
especially bebop influenced this band. Nothing like what I expected at
all from my limited Western Swing exposure (read, mostly his brother Bob). In
fact, take away the steel guitar and you have very little "western" in some of
the songs at all. Interesting stuff to say the least. Diz and Bird strike again
in the most unlikely of places...

Gregg

Gregg Makepeace
[EMAIL PROTECTED]