S?bastien Michel:
> We have two options : moving the management of
> smtpd_reject_filter_maps in check_milter_reply with the need to give a
> context into smtpd_chat_reply to not apply smtpd_reject_footer_maps if
> a replacement occured, or other option to merge the handling of smtpd
> error logging and smtpd error reply in the same place.

Postfix SMTP reject messages can be produced in many places.

- Reject messages that are generated by SMTP protocol handlers (too
many connections/recipients/messages, rejects from the cleanup
daemon). These are formatted and logged in multiple places.

- Reject messages from smtpd_mumble_restrictions. These are formatted
and logged in one place.

- Reject messages that are generated by milters. In smtpd, these
are formatted and logged in one place. In cleanup, there are also
formatted and logged in one place, but that place is not the same
as in smtpd.

- Reject messages by postscreen SMTP protocol handlers. These are
formatted and logged in one place.

If the idea is to log these in their translated form, then
that would be too invasive a change.

It is not going to happen.

        Wietse