On 26/07/24 16:35, wagner riffel via Postfix-devel wrote:
Peter via Postfix-devel <postfix-devel@postfix.org> wrote:
Personally my feeling is that if someone is so brain dead as to actually
name an unprivileged user "0" they will get what they deserve and so I
would personally be fine with just using find ... -user 0 above.

I don't think it's a problem with people creating users, modern software loves
to create new users, wc -l /etc/passwd tells me there 38 in my system, but I
ever created one (it's over 10 only prefixed with systemd-). As one example I
can think at this moment of how one can end up with a user named 0, the Nix
package manager creates nix-build{0..19} users on install, if somehow there's a
config or environment variable that allows to customize this prefix "nix-build",
there you have it, maybe even accidentally.

I would consider that to be a pretty huge bug in said software and would not be surprised at all if Postfix isn't the only software that would cause to break.

Most Linux systems nowadays will refuse to create such users without forcing the issue which said software is not very likely to do. I can't speak for *BSD or other UNIX systems, though.

Peter